Friday, 24 July 2020 08:00 PM
Blues & Bal Weekend with Mike & Dan
The Mobtown Ballroom’s first edition of our multi-style dance weekend will feature international instructors Mike Legenthal and Dan Repsch. Whether you are trying to bolster you Blues skills, up your Balboa knowledge, or simply round out your Lindy Hop with more material, this weekend is for you. The event will feature three social dances and two afternoons of workshops for beginner/intermediate and advanced Balboa and Blues dancers.
-There will be Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday afternoon dances. There will be a mix of music throughout the weekend.
-Saturday will feature a block of beginner/intermediate Blues workshops, followed by a block of advanced Blues workshops.
-Sunday will include a beginner/intermediate block of Balboa, then an afternoon dance, and finally a block of advanced Balboa classes.
12-3pm Beginnger/Intermediate Blues
3-4pm Break for Lunch
4-6pm Advanced Blues
12-2pm Beginner/Intermediate Balboa
2-4pm Afternoon Balboa Dance
4-6pm Advance Balboa
To ensure that everyone gets the opportunity to progress in their dancing, we are being serious about the class levels. The beginner/intermediate level is open to everyone. Please read the descriptions of the advanced levels below (we will be verifying levels as registrations come in). Keep in mind that there are no stakes in this; no one is getting ‘cool points’ for being in a higher level, and both workshops will be dense with information. Please pay close attention to the requirements for the advanced level.
For the purposes of this event, an advanced Blues dancer:
• has been blues dancing at least 3 years
• has a wide vocabulary of both solo and partnered blues moves
• has knowledge of several of the distinct varieties of blues (Juke, Ballrooming, drag blues, etc.)
• is able to dance blues to a variety of tempos
• displays a strong sense of musicality
• has traveled to blues events/workshops in the past
For the purposes of this event, an advanced Balboa dancer:
• has been dancing balboa at least 2 years
• is proficient in: basic step (up-hold and down-hold), paddles, forward/backward progressives, come-around, lollies, toss-out, out-and-ins, and transitions between movements.
• is comfortable in pure bal and bal-swing, and easily transitioning between the two styles
• is able to dance balboa to a variety of tempos, including comfortably dancing over 200 bpm
• is able to comfortably insert personal styling without messing up their partner
• has traveled to balboa events/workshops in the past
Please email email@example.com with questions about levels.
Pricing and Registration
***All passes (both single day tickets, and full weekend) include passes to the Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday afternoon dances. Assuming we don't sell out, entrance to single dances will be sold at the door. We are not offering an a la carte option for workshops.
Beginner both days: $90
Advanced both days: $90
Beg one day and advanced one day: $90
Single day (just Blues or just Balboa): $60
PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU DON'T SEE YOUR PREFERRED REGISTRATION OPTION BELOW, PLEASE TURN YOUR PHONE SIDEWAYS OR SWITCH TO A LAPTOP (sorry)..
Fine Print and Extra Stuff
• With the exception of a serious emergency or injury, we do not offer refunds. Passes can be transferred to another person or applied to certain future events. Please don't buy a ticket unless you plan to attend the event.
• We are allowing the advanced students to take the beginner/intermediate classes for free, with a few caveats: 1) the role you do will be dependent on the balance of the class; 2) We ask that you take it seriously, attend all of it, and remember that the class is ultimately for people who paid for that level (so no showing off with moves that aren't being taught, etc).
Mike's true loves in life are teaching, dancing, following, and music. There's no order, because for her, these things are intrinsically linked. In addition to national events like Lindy Focus and Enter the Blues, Mike has taught at countless regional events in Lindy, Blues, and Balboa, as well as traveling all over the country to teach and perform. She performed in an all-girls Charleston troupe at Camp Jitterbug's Jump Session Show in 2007, and in the all-girl blues troupe, the Hoodoo Ladies, at events from DC to BluesShout in St. Louis. Additionally, she has taught at events ranging from one-month artists residencies to international training camps.
Mike combines an intuitive understanding of connection with an analytical speaking style to give her students technique, but also strives to challenge and inspire her students to push themselves further into the music. She aims to help leaders create artistic compositions that are clearly led; she wants follows to have the ability to be a completely literal follow, and the inspiration and freedom to be an imaginative and dynamic contributor. In the classroom or on the social floor, she seeks a connection that involves active communication from both partners, to make a dance together.
Dan is immersed in the music and the movement. He constantly travels internationally, teaching and learning and happily sharing his ideas along the way. In his teaching, Dan’s enthusiastic approach brings a focus on innovation, connection, and attention to your partner. Dan is also a veteran DJ, spinning for events across 4 continents and DJing everything from international events to local dances on a weekly basis. He’s also organized both locally and for international events as their Head DJ, including BluesSHOUT! and The Blues Experiment. In the end, Dan is most excited to work hard at improving the dance and to see his students break through their boundaries.